By choosing to support St Andrews in your will, you can help to ensure the future of the University no matter what challenges lie ahead.
How to begin your planned giving
The American Foundation of the University of St Andrews has existed as a registered US charity for more than 50 years. Gifts to the University of St Andrews American Foundation are tax-deductible for US donors.
Bequests for the benefit of the University of St Andrews can be made to the University of St Andrews American Foundation, which is registered in the State of Georgia and is exempt from tax under 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(3) of the IRS code.
Our North American Alumni & Development Representative would welcome the opportunity to discuss your intentions to ensure that the University will be able to honour your wishes. We recommend you consult an attorney to draft your will. He/she should be able to adapt the following form of words to suit your needs:
‘I give to the University of St Andrews American Foundation Inc., EIN 58-1662222, a Sections 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(3) organisation, c/o Alston and Bird, 1201 West Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30309-3424, the sum of [in words] OR a [in words] percentage share of the residue of my estate OR my [detail your specific item or items] to be used for the general purposes of the said Foundation OR to be used for [detail the specific purposes you have] and I declare that receipt by the Trustees of the said Foundation shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my Executors and Trustees.
(1) If the University of St Andrews American Foundation Inc. has changed its name or has amalgamated with or transferred its assets to any other body or has been wrongly designed then my Executors/Trustees shall give effect to such legacy or entitlement as if it has been made to such new or succeeding body or failing which to the University Court of the University of St Andrews (Scottish Charity Number SC013532), Fife, Scotland: and
(2) Receipt by the Trustees of any succeeding body or the receipt of the Quaestor or other officer authorised by the Principal of the University of St Andrews shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my Executors and Trustees.’
Getting in touch
• If you are thinking about leaving a bequest to the University of St Andrews and would like to discuss your wishes in confidence, please contact our North American Alumni & Development Representative, based in the USA, Becky Mitchell, Tel: 607 592 8972, Fax: +44(0)1334 462590, Email: email@example.com
• If you have left a bequest to St Andrews in your will and wish to inform us, please download our Legacy Pledge Form (PDF, 84 KB) .
• To show our gratitude to those who have confirmed their bequest, we invite them to join the Chancellor’s Circle.