Persons who register for SPARC become a 'Member'.
To be eligible to register you must fall into one of the following categories:
- Graduate, honorary graduate or non-graduating alumni (ie have completed a course or module of study including year or semester abroad students)
- Current / former parents who are / have been registered with the University’s Family Programme
Requests for membership will be considered from donors to the University of St Andrews who do not fall into one of the above categories. Please email: email@example.com to request further details.
By using the SPARC system you are agreeing to the Data Protection Statement and the terms and conditions of use below.
Data Protection Statement
The University of St Andrews is registered as a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "1998 Act"). We uphold the relevant data protection principles and process all personally identifiable information about you ("personal data") in accordance with the 1998 Act and other relevant legislation.
Personal data which we collect about you via our website is held on and processed by computers situated at the University of St Andrews. We will retain this data for a reasonable period or for as long as the law requires. You may view the information we hold on you or update the contact information previously provided to us in your My SPARC section.
Our website and our computer systems have security measures in place with the aim of protecting the loss, misuse or alteration of personal data held by us.
- the distribution of University publications
- the promotion of benefits and services available to alumni
- notification of alumni events and of programmes involving academic schools and administrative units
- fundraising appeals and programmes, which might include direct marketing and telephone campaigns by the University
- research and audit purposes by administrative units and academic schools, which could include direct mailings to alumni
Data you enter into the SPARC system will be treated confidentially and with respect and will be used by University staff, including, but not limited to, staff of the Development Office. All data is securely held by the University of St Andrews Development Office and will be treated confidentially and with respect for the benefit of the University and its constituent parts. The data is available to academic schools and units, the University of St Andrews American Foundation Inc., recognised alumni clubs, student groups and other clubs associated with the University, and to agents contracted by the University for purposes directly related to the interests of the University and / or its alumni. The data will not be disclosed to external organisations other than those acting as agents for the University.
If you choose to make your data visible to other alumni by clicking the relevant tick boxes in your profile (only available once registered and logged in) then you are deemed to have consented that this data may be additionally disclosed by the University to other users of the SPARC system, including disclosure to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). This precise geographic definition is required because any information displayed on the Internet is regarded as having potential for disclosure outside the EEA, and the Data Protection Act 1998 requires that you explicitly consent to such a disclosure.
You may choose to receive no email communications by completing the Email Preferences Form.
If you do not wish your personal details to be held by the Development Office or to be used for any or all of the stated purposes, you have the right to have your data removed from the database or prevent processing for those purposes at any time. To do this, please inform the Alumni Relations Office, Development, University of St Andrews, Crawford Building, 91 North Street, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9AJ or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For any general questions concerning Data Protection and the University of St Andrews please contact the University Data Protection Officer, Business Improvements, Library & Information Services, University of St Andrews, Butts Wynd, Fife, KY16 9AL.
Terms and Conditions of Use of SPARC
- The University reserves the right to change the terms and conditions. You are responsible for regularly reviewing these terms and conditions. Your continued use of the SPARC system constitutes your agreement to all such terms and conditions.
- The service is offered free to graduates, honorary graduates, non-graduating alumni of the University and parents registered with the University's Family Programme, solely at the Development Office's discretion and may be terminated at any time, although there is no intention to withdraw the service.
- The Development Office and the University cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage due to the failure or termination of the service, although we will make reasonable efforts to let you know in advance of foreseeable service interruptions.
- By registering for SPARC, you consent to receive emails from the Development Office, informing you of services, future events, etc. The email address used for this would be your personal / home email address as found in your My SPARC section.
- Once approved, confirmation of registration will be sent by the Development Office to the email address you supply on registering.
- The service is strictly for personal and non-commercial use. It is not intended as a business service (e.g. a helpdesk or ordering e-mail address) and the Development Office reserves the right to terminate the service if business use is suspected.
- While the Development Office and the University will not make any attempt to gain access to the content of emails, their complete security cannot be guaranteed since email is not a secure transmission medium.
- The SPARC Alumni Portal and the email forwarding service are provided by the University of St Andrews to facilitate communication among members of the University's alumni community. Certain uses are inconsistent with this purpose, including, but not limited to activities that are illegal or fraudulent, use that inaccurately implies endorsement, approval, or sponsorship by the University of St Andrews (or any individual member of staff at the University) and use that can be confused with official University communications. The University will deny further access to the secure portion of the website to those who engage in these or similar practices.
- Use of @alumni.st-andrews.ac.uk addresses as the origin or reply-to address in unsolicited junk email (spam) is forbidden.
- The deliberate sending of email infected with viruses or other malicious attachments is forbidden.
- The deliberate sending of junk or spam emails is forbidden.
- You undertake to register for SPARC using accurate and current information about yourself, including your correct name, address and any other details requested. Fraudulent use or manipulation of another individual’s details by posing as that individual is forbidden.
- If you see anything on SPARC which appears to contravene the Agreement, then please contact us at email@example.com.
- If any third party site is linked to/from SPARC, it does not mean that the University endorses, or has any responsibility for the site in question, or anything which appears on it. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of any such linked websites.
- Your use of SPARC is entirely at your own risk.
Questions about our policies
If you have any questions about the terms and conditions of use, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this website, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.